Let’s face it, there’s no such thing as a relaxing holiday with kids in tow, is there? (If there is, someone please enlighten me). I just find myself doing the same old thing, somewhere else.
Even so, after a week at home and a week house sitting for family in Wales I have managed to catch up on a little sleep and you know what they say: a change is as good as a rest, even if it was someone else’s washing machine I was loading instead of my own.
I’ve also had time to reflect on things a little bit, and as in days of old when I spent a fortnight lolling on sun lounger intermittently snoozing and reading (those were the days!) I’ve come home with a list of 5 post holiday resolutions I’m determined to stick to:
1. Drink less. Alcohol I mean. I can quite see how parenthood could turn one into a functioning alcoholic, and reaching for that white wine spritzer at 7pm has become a habit that needs nipping in the bud.
2. Stretch. There’s a lot to be said for a good stretch – even just the yoga child pose for a few minutes at the beginning and end of each day. Must. Make. The. Time.
3. Appreciate the little things. Little B’s toes when they curl up as he’s feeding, the smell of the earth when I’m weeding on the allotment, the hilarious things BB comes out with on a daily basis. These are moments to cherish.
4. Give the children my full attention during mealtimes instead of taking my laptop to the table and tapping away while they finish eating, and switch off all phones and computers at 9pm with no sneaky checking afterwards. Too much time is spent glued to screens in our house.
5. Establish a bedtime routine for Little B. After everything that happened before he was born I’m still so pleased he’s here that I haven’t been firm with him at all. But it’s high time to reclaim the evening and have an hour or two sans kids each night before bed time.
All this starts today…wish me luck!